May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14 NIV

Sunday, June 30, 2013

Stamp On It -- California Limited Edition

 
Ahhhhh.....California, land of my birth down in the southern part of the state in the lovely small town of Coronado.  Possibly if you have been to San Diego, you know this pretty little island......well, it is technically a penninsula.  I was fortunate that both my grand-parents lived in the San Diego area at the time.  One set in Coronado (retired Navy family, of course) and the others in La Mesa on a wonderful hill with a view called Mt. Helix.  My memories float back of trips to visit the grand-parents and the visits to the grand-parents always remind me of their yards and gardens.  Always there were California Poppies.  They seemed to bloom everywhere and everytime we visited, no matter what time of year.  

So my Stamp On It homage to California is "California Forever" and it pays homage to the ubiquitous California poppy, our state flower.  No matter where you go...... desert, ocean, mountains, valleys.......there will be California poppies blooming.  If you are lucky you'll get a chance to visit the Antelope Valley Poppy Reserve in the spring where you'll see a riot of color spreading out before you.  

In the meantime, enjoy my entry  to the Stamp On It Blog Hop..... 


Inspiration for this approximately 14"X14" piece was from this pattern that I bought as a kit at my guild quilt show in April.  Note that I only used a portion of the design.  I am not much of an appliquer and I didn't want to bite off more than I can chew. 
 
 Don't forget to visit the other Stamp On It blogs: 



Life in the Scrapatch

Pig Tales and Quilts

littlemushroomcap

sosewgreen

The Thimblemouse

Just Let Me Quilt

Words & Stitches

In Stitches And Seams



June 27

Life @ Ruffhaven

Englating

Charlottes Creations

Moments

Sew Many Yarns

Feathered Nest Studio

Moose Stash Quilting

Jane's Quilting

Hillvalleyquilter



June 28

Robin's Fabric Nest

In The Sewing Basket

Elizabeth Coughlin Designs

Just Quilt It

AnnieOak Designs

Buzzing and Bumbling

krislovesfabric

CherrysPrairiePrimitives

Hanging On By A Thread



July 1

Quilt Matters

Scrapbook-ChickADoodle

Patchouli Moon

The Slow Quilter

A Loose Thread - this would be me
Janes Fabrics and Quilts

Selina Quilts

Debby Kratovil Quilts

Dancing Thru Threads



July 2

Sew and Sow Farm 

fishkopp

Scraps of Life

Meadowbrook

Katie and Kwilts 

Em's Scrap Bag  

GrammieQ's

How ART you?

BumbleberryStitches

A Stitch in Time



July 3

More Stars in Comanche

Dachsies With Moxie

NotionNanny

13 Woodhouse Road

Heikesquilt’

Traveling Quilter

Jackie’s Art Quilts

What About Rheema?

From This to That

Sew We Quilt

58 comments:

jan said...

Wow, that is so beautiful. You did a great job.
jan@http://sewandsowfarm.blogspot.com/

Marianne said...

I remember walking thru fiels of poppies when I was in California back in 1994. You stamp is beautiful.

Judy B said...

Beautiful Poppy stamp! Thank you for sharing.

Britt-Inger said...

What a beautiful stamp that you have made. It is so lovely
Thanks for sharing your creativity

Anita said...

A very beautiful Poppy stamp!

feltfree på Åsly said...

This one is so beautiful. Love the flowers on your stamp. Thanks for sharing

Debby said...

Beautiful applique work! I understand the beauty of California. I was raised up there in San Jose (near Alameda) and the flowers and landscape were just divine. Been awhile since I've been back. Thanks for sharing a lovely project today!

Sharon said...

Oh you did wonderful on your applique...Great poppy.

charlotte said...

I love your stamp. I love the California Poppies and yellow just happens to be my favorite color. Beautiful job!!

Elizabeth Coughlin said...

Your stamp is gorgeous! I love the colors.

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Oh just lovely!! The poppies are beautiful

Robin Sheaffer said...

Your poppies are beautiful! Great stamp!

patchouli moon studio said...

Having grown up in California (lived there 20 years) I have always loved the California Poppy. I used to pick the closed seed pods off the flowers and put them into a brown paper bag. As they burst open you could hear the popping sound in the bag. It was fun and I got poppy seeds to plant in another area of the garden too. Your stamp quilt is beautiful!

Liz - Moments said...

Beautiful !!
Poppies are one of my favorite flowers !

Mary said...

You did a great job on your California Forever stamp. Love the poppies.

Patty D from NC said...

You did a fabulous job!

Thearica said...

Your stamp is gorgeous! I will have to show my hubby when he comes in for lunch. he loves all things with flowers.

Judy Cooper Textile Images said...

Great job! I love Poppies. Thanks for sharing

apple blossom said...

beautiful job.. love your stamp

vicki said...

What a pretty stamp! Thanks for sharing. vickise at gmail dot com

Madame Samm said...

Ohhhhh Leslie...how pretty...photo, stitching, stamp..all of it...totally YOU, and you will see what others will think too wink..

Linda said...

How gorgeous! Your stamp is a perfect tribute to your state!

Carol said...

Your stamp turned out so beautiful...love the poppies! I'm California-born and have such fond memories of those flowers.

Michèle-Renée Charbonneau said...

Beautiful colours and design. Great job!

Mara said...

Lovely, Poppies are so pretty! We get red ones here in Greece.

Katie M. said...

Loved CA when I lived there and I remember the poppies. Love your stamp.

suz said...

beautiful!

Linda J said...

Lovely! I am glad that you did try the applique as this is a perfect representation of California.

Judy said...

Beautiful, you have done a wonderful wonderful job! Great stamp, I love it!

Agnes B. Bullock said...

Beautiful!

HQT said...

LOVE your stamp! Native Californian here who lives in San Diego! I moved to La Mesa 32 years! Poppies are so delicate and beautiful and abundant!

Who is the pattern maker? I love to purchase that pattern.

JanesQuilting said...

I just love it! The flowers look soo real. Some day I would love to go visit California.

Joanna said...

I have little wild poppies blooming in my garden and I love them. Very pretty stamp.

Jeanie said...

Lovely poppies! I love the yellow on gray and your quilting lines. Patterns are made to be customized and personalized..... you did this just perfectly!

krislovesfabric said...

Wow, this is soo pretty, love your poppies!!

Little Quilt Shop said...

Love the colors!! Thanks so much!!

Emily C said...

Lovely design. The portion you picked fit perfectly on the stamp =)

Gill said...

I love your stamp - beautiful poppies but I can't get them to grow in my garden!!
Thanks for sharing!

Sarah Correa said...

beautiful stamp!

tink's mom said...

Wonderful salute to the state. Great job on the applique. Such beautiful memories.

Cathy said...

Your stamp is lovely!

The Slow Quilter said...

You might not be much of an applique person, put you need a great job on this stamp.

Cherry's Prairie Primitives said...

Love your beautiful flowers!!

Scrapbook-ChickADoodle said...

Beautiful adaptation. Congrats on being one of the chosen.

Denise Russell said...

Gorgeous! Terrific job!

evelyn said...

You did a beautiful job on the applique. Congrats on being chosen. Well deserved.

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

You did a wonderful job! Congratulations on making top picks!

Julia Plunkett said...

Congratulations on being a top pick of the day! Your poppies are just beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Lisa in Port Hope said...

Poppies in my garden are red. Yours are very nice too.

LJ said...

Very nice and your applique work is wonderful. Are CA poppies different colors or always the same? - just interested.

BizyStitches said...

lovely stamp. I have visited Calif. many times. Thanks for the fun and for sharing.

BizyStitches said...

lovely stamp. I have visited Calif. many times. Thanks for the fun and for sharing. I had to resend this message because I got a notice that it didn't go through.

gpc said...

Beautiful stamp! :)

MooseStash Quilting said...

Your poppy stamp is fabulous! Great tribute to a great state!

Annette Schultz said...

beautiful poppies, they are just right for your stamp.
thanks sew much for sharing
in stitches

Heikesquilt said...

I love Your poppies, thanks for sharing an Your nice comment on my blog.

Madame Samm said...

HI Leslie.....you are one of the winners for being part of our hop.( stamp on it) Will need your addy and our sponsors do not pay for shipping but you will no doubt get much more than that cost...you will get 1 , 2, 3 bundles of Tokyo along with some extras....congrats mdm samm

Madame Samm said...

Hi leslie, your email keeps bouncing, please send me your mailing address, i have your red package ready...thx.