May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14 NIV

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Home From The R2CA

     What a treat to be able to make it to Road to California Quilt Show this year.  I was on a roll going every January with my good friend, Linda until last year's broken wrist episode.  But we are back on the plan again.  
     This year I took 2 classes.  Both had a sewing machine available.  We used Baby Locks and they were great but I was not enticed to give up my Berninas to buy a new one.  My Eleanor Burns class had a kit to use. Everything was measured and cut and ready to go for $68.  If you didn't like her color choices, you  were stuck but she offered two different color-ways.  
     First up was the Hole in The Wall with Eleanor Burns.  I've done a couple of El's QinADay patterns so I was basically familiar with her technique.  It worked up fast and I managed to complete 9 15" blocks in class.  Since I was feeling enthused, I finished up the last 3 blocks in my hotel room.  Today I finished sewing it all together with the sashing strips so it is ready for a backing.  It finished up at about 56" X 72". 
     Next up was a class on Modern Improvised Log-Cabin blocks.  It was taught by Jackie Gehring.  It was a really fun class that got me out of my box.  I decided to give a try to several different block styles using the same fabrics.  With some additional sewing back in the hotel room, I got 7 blocks done.  I'm still thinking about what to do with them.  The original idea is to use a grid and place them in a pleasing manner.  Then you finish out the blocks with sashing and put the quilt top together.  I really like the fabric colors in these blocks but I'm not sure I'd like a modern quilt.  We'll see.  The ideas need to percolate. 



No comments: