May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14 NIV

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

New Year's Eve 2013 On To The New Year

Since 2013 started with a broken wrist for me, it could only get better along the way.  But first I had to trudge through the rigors of physical therapy and exercise to regain strength and mobility.  I learned a lot about what a fracture and a cast do to muscles, ligaments, tendons, etc. It takes quite awhile to regain functionality.  Thanks to a wonderful husband, life at home continued with him doing most of the cooking, washing, driving, etc.  By  the middle of March I was back to driving and beginning to resume a somewhat normal schedule of activities.  Writing this in December makes me realize that I've come a long way from the middle of March.  I still deal with stiffness, a bit of pain, and a bit less than full rotation of my right wrist but I can function....Praise God!

As I look back, I realize that I actually accomplished a lot of quilting despite the restrictions of my right hand.  Actually, working with the rotary cutter and sewing helped in the healing process as a form of exercise.  I made several community quilts, worked on various tops and completed a quilt for my niece's birthday and one for friend, Genene. For Christmas I made 5 pillowcases for gifts and a doll quilt and PJs for Violet's doll, Annabelle.  I didn't attend Road To California this year but I've got my reservations in for 2014....next month! 

Travel was light this year in comparison to all the foreign travel of the last few years.  We managed a trip to Mendocino in March for our anniversary and I got away to Carpinteria in April.  We flew to Floriday in October for a Callaway family reuion and visit to Disney World.  In November, we went down to Los Angeles to say good-bye to Grandpa Roy and to celebrate Thanksgiving. 

The big project of the year was remodeling the master bath.  We are delighted with the new walk-in shower.  It is so convenient for our "aging-in-place" years coming up.  

Family has been well and happy and I have felt blessed each day.  I continue to feel at home here in Alameda.  I still have (and always will) moments of sadness missing Stephen.  Those times often hit suddenly. I take great pleasure in working at my DGDs school, being a part of the GrandPerson's Club and quilting with my guild friends.  Bible study continues to be an integral part of my weekly routine.  

It's been a good year.  May all the praise go to God for all He has provided. 

No comments: