May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14 NIV

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

A Little Dot A Little Dash

A few months back I won some jelly rolls from two different blogs.  It turned out they were by the same designer, Aneela Hoey,  but different fabric lines.  The best part is that they blended together nicely.  They sat on my shelf for quite a while.  I was struggling because they were the newer more modern color ways of today's fabrics.  I tend towards clear and bright colors and not so much graphic design.  That's not to say I don't like graphic designs.  I just tend not to work with them.  So coming up with an idea for these jelly rolls was a challenge.  Everything I saw using this type of fabric seemed to include a lot of white sashing or accents.  So I pulled out the white and this is what I started with. 
Basically boring.  This sat on the wall for quite a while.
So I went back to the blogs and searched some more.  Moda Bake Shop was especially inspiring.  It also helped that these were Moda fabrics. Next up I made another block with white to intersperse with the above blocks.
Definitely more interest but something's missing.
After sewing the blocks together, I decided that it needed another row of dashes on the bottom in order to contain the design better.  Back to sewing and color decisions. 
That's better.  Whoa......what's that block in the lower right????
For the life of me, I couldn't find any more green strips which I really needed.  I either misplaced or threw out the scraps.  The only solution I could come up with was to do something completely different just for the fun of it.  I found a white strip from the collection that had some of the green colorway in it.  I'm kind of liking it.  Now it needs a border. 
How about red?
The strips of fabric above are hanging beside the top to inspire me.  I always love red so I'll probably go with red.  And when it's done..........it will be donated to community quilts.  Always fun to try something new.

No comments: