May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14 NIV

Saturday, January 26, 2013

A Little Something I Am Working On

I attend a small group through my quilt guild, Amador Valley Quilters.  We are called Quiltinators  and we are a drop-in group that works primarily on projects for the guild's Community Quilts Projects.  But because we are quilters, we occasionally offer a challenge.  I put one up last summer that is due at the February meeting. We all brought a yard of  a fabric from our stash that we considered ugly or undesireable.  We stood around in a circle and began by tearing the initial fabric in half, dropping a half in a paper bag and then passing (musical chair style) the remaining half.  When the signal was given, we stopped, tore fabric in half again, dropped one piece in the bag, and began passing again.  We did this until we got to 1/16th yards.  The challenge was to go home with your "6 Easy Pieces" and make something.  Everyone is required to take a before picture of their pieces.  Here are mine:
Passing the Pieces

What I went home with 

So I let the bag sit and marinate for quite a while.  Ideas came and went.  I made one small set of flying geese and then we went on our trip to Portugal in October.  If anyone reading this, reads my blog you will know that I came home with a broken wrist. 

I went around moaning and groaning while in the cast because I couldn't sew.  I announced to the group that my project wouldn't get done.  I threw myself a pity party.  And then.......the cast came off and after my exercises began I discovered that with patience, lots of patience, I could sew on the sewing machine.  Then I discovered if I used a sharp blade and only worked with one or two layers of fabric, I could cut with a rotary cutter.  The trick was to work on the project in small increments of time so as to not totally fatigue my wrist and arm. 

The due date is February 4 and I just might have this little challenge piece done.  But I'm not going to post a complete picture until after the reveal.
One little corner with the beginning quilting.  Lots more to go.

I am trying out various names......"6 Easy Geeses" or "Frog, Frog, Goose" are the leading contenders.

No comments: